Thursday, January 29, 2015

Terrorist and My Interpretation

The Poem, in its language, is rather dark and as a reader you can feel the anger of the poet. This poem is like many out of the book Tocqueville. The anger and voice any many of the poems are really what caught my eye. The language that is used can be at times confusing, so the only real connection I made was through the tone. Although, as a reader you can start to decipher some of the text and its overall meaning. The act of studying the piece has to take place.

In the poem Terrorist there is a lot of detail of body parts and death that leads to some interesting images. The poet mentions seeing strewn corpses, ashes of bones, shedding skin, all images of death in some way. This is where I came to understand the context of this poem. It obviously resembles mass death in some way. Possibly death via terrorism and the feelings a person has if they lost someone to such act. I believe the speaker of the poem wanting to die or has died to be with the person they lost

The poem connects to me in a such a way because I grew up when terrorism was at its finest. 911 just happened when I was in grade school and from then until now I have heard of many people who have lost their lives to a terrorist. I can't relate on an emotional level but I can understand the language of the poem and how it could connect it to a person who has lost someone via terrorism. It is an awful act of mass murder and I believe Khaled layered the poem with language that reflects such an act.

1 comment: